Sunday, November 25, 2007

Safety Issues

Courtesy of Rumor Queen
Monday, May 15, 2006

When I was in High School I had a jacket with my name on it. While at an away game someone almost lured me outside of the game area because he knew my name. He almost convinced me that we knew each other, and at the last minute I realized that he knew my name because it was on my jacket. I have no idea what his intentions were and I'd just as soon not contemplate that. The point is that I was very confused by the fact that he knew my name. I still remember being positive that I'd never met him before and I remember that he was creeping me out, but then there was the fact that he knew my name and seemed to know a few other things about me (that I now realize were probably pretty easy to guess).

Because of this I am adamant that my child not have anything with her name on it. My mother thinks I'm being silly. She was in the process of making my daughter a book bag with her name on it when I interceded. I've talked about my mother's control issues on this blog before, she tried to point out to me that I'd said no clothes with her name on it, and this wasn't clothes. I didn't really care. The bookbag now says "My Bookbag".

I have to wonder - is there something else this simple out there that I should be doing that I'm not? Without my experience in high school my mom would have probably put my daughter's name on a dozen or so things by now and I'd have never thought twice about it. Is there something else that I'm doing (or allowing) that is putting her at risk?

I don't know. I just have to watch out for her safety as best I can and hope I'm doing everything I should be doing.

(Note from Kimberly: I had heard this before, but it didn't really sink in until I read this on RQ's site. It changed the way I looked at things I wanted to purchase for the baby. Safety first, and if I am accused of being over-protective, so be it.)

No comments: